7/23/13

valediction

Whenever Drew writes me a note, he ends it with:

                            All my love,

                                             Drew.

And I cannot get enough of that.  I can't even explain why.  I just look down at the scrawled-on piece of paper, with a closed-lip smile, squinted eyes, and think, youuu charming devil, you.

Because he just is, in the most subtle, no-agenda kind of way.  The very first time we "hung out" alone, he put his arm around me.  He just did it.  And I call it a hang out because it wasn't a date.  It just wasn't.  Can't possibly qualify.  We went and got sushi.  I paid.  And I'm pretty sure every single person he has ever come in contact with decided to call him while we were sitting there.  I was annoyed with all of them.

We headed up to one of my three favorite parks.  The one that overlooks the valley, that everyone now knows about, so it's always crowded.  We laid in the grass and listened to music and never once touched each other.  At all.

As we walked back to the car, he just grabbed me by the waist and pulled me toward him.  As if this were a normal, expected kind of thing, that had happened on a regular basis for a considerable amount of time.  And I'm reeling on the inside, trying to act cool about it on the outside.  Like, yeah, you know, Drew's arm is around my waist.  No big.  NBD.  (It was.  It was a BD.  A B-freaking-D.)

I asked him about that a few weeks ago.  Because, from my experience, it takes a lot of nerve, to just reach out and touch another person without their explicit approval to do so.  Given, the greater the risk, the greater the potential return.  But still.  Scary.  There were times that I had to have a countdown in my head before leaning in to kiss someone.  Like, three....two....one....smootch

I guess I just wanted to know where in the world someone gets that kind of nerve.

He said to me, "Meg, if I wanted to date someone, I just did."

So, there you go, I guess.

22 comments:

  1. I can't wait until you write a novel. Get going.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Tessa, it is so hard! I can't decide which idea to go with, and when I try, it's the worst writing ever. I don't know what to do. But thank you for the encouragement. I'll dedicate it to you haha if it's ever written.

      Delete
  2. This is adorable. You go Drew! And I love the tree photo. Because it looks like an excellent picnic spot :)

    p.s. What a great way to sign notes!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It probably would be a great picnic spot! Very good point. I snapped it when we were at this rope swing pond a few weeks ago. Really pretty spot.

      Delete
  3. one of the most lyric & romantic pieces I've read in a while.
    Just beautiful!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you so much! Do you have a blog? Your profile doesn't seem to show any information on you.

      Delete
    2. Not yet. But there is one in project. :)

      Delete
  4. This is so cute, you have such a lovely relationship x

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Why thank you! I love reading about yours as well.

      Delete
  5. Man, that is a cute story! I still refer to me and Bob's first "date" as a "hang out". Because that's exactly what it was.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That seems to be the way things go these days. I hated going on dates before I even knew I liked spending time with someone. Therefore, hangouts. The lovely gray area!

      Delete
  6. Imma have to agree with Tessa, write a book. Do us all a favor.

    And this is way way too cute. I love you two. And maybe someday you should share the whole 'how we met' story ;)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm trying! It's a lot harder than I thought! Blogging is so much easier. Anyway, I sort of shared that story once. But that was back when I had, like, ten readers. So maybe I'll try again one day soon!

      Delete
  7. Welp, that's adorable. You two need to stop being so cute, mmk? Thanks ;)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Never! Kidding. We aren't always cute. Mostly we lay in bed watching Grey's, eating whatever we can find in the pantry because we're too lazy to go shopping. See? haha not cute!

      Delete
  8. I love talking about the first couple months with rich. asking what he thought about this, why he did that...it always makes me love him just a little bit more. I like this a lot a lot.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Agreed! It's so fun to be able to go back and talk openly about those things. Because in the moment it was so nerve-racking, felt like life or death.

      Delete
  9. I wandered over here from a comment you left on Owls in My Heart, and what a terrific first post to read! Your writing grabbed me right by the heart, and now I just want to sit here and devour your archives all afternoon.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. What a compliment! You're welcome to stay as long as you want. Which is a stupid thing to say, because this is a public website. But I think you know what I mean.

      Delete
  10. Ugh I'm so done with this post. It is perfect! It's lovely and delicate and fragile and good. It is love. It's love.

    I can't wait for this kind of love.

    xx
    Em

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. haha thank you very much. and you'll get it, I'm sure! in the meantime, just watch lots of chick flicks. it's sort of like self-inflicted torture...but helps. for some reason.

      Delete
  11. Everyone pretty much did all the gushing required for this post already, so I'll just say YAY!

    Also, what does that even mean? "If I want to date someone I just do it"? Haha I don't know but it's cute.

    ReplyDelete

I love reading what you have to say about what I had to say. Feel free to leave those thoughts here.