12/23/13

12-23

I actually attack the concept of happiness. The idea that - I don’t mind people being happy - but the idea that everything we do is part of the pursuit of happiness seems to me a really dangerous idea and has led to a contemporary disease in Western society, which is fear of sadness. It’s a really odd thing that we’re now seeing people saying 'write down 3 things that made you happy today before you go to sleep', and 'cheer up' and 'happiness is our birthright' and so on. We’re kind of teaching our kids that happiness is the default position - it’s rubbish. Wholeness is what we ought to be striving for and part of that is sadness, disappointment, frustration, failure; all of those things which make us who we are. Happiness and victory and fulfillment are nice little things that also happen to us, but they don’t teach us much. Everyone says we grow through pain and then as soon as they experience pain they say 'Quick! Move on! Cheer up!' I’d like just for a year to have a moratorium on the word 'happiness' and to replace it with the word 'wholeness'. Ask yourself 'is this contributing to my wholeness?' and if you’re having a bad day, it is.    - Hugh Mackay

Sometimes it's difficult to avoid thinking critical thoughts about things other people do.  I know I'm guilty of it, at least daily (if not hourly or minute-ly or an even more-ly amount that I never want to consciously admit to).  We travel here and there, minding our business, except we never really are. We're bored of our own business, which is why dramatic television is such a hit.


But I've come to find that people have their own reasons for doing things.  Sometimes, even when you know it will eventually ruin you, it's just nice to have something to look forward to. 

That's a Meg-ism.

7 comments:

  1. I love that quote. I feel like that is what the Plan of Happiness is. It's also so you because you hate the word happy. I love your church outfit. Also, you watch ally mcbeal?? I watched the entire series recently but was a bit ashamed of it, so I kept it a mostly secret. Although it consumed my thoughts for months, and I had to have a mental funeral when it ended. But it is trashy, and weird, and I love it.

    ReplyDelete
  2. First off, your outfit... LOVE IT lady! Second, I am so happy you posted this quote. I think about this all the time, and I really love the idea of whole ness. I think it would be a good change to strive for it.

    ReplyDelete
  3. That quote is so true! I love love it. And your outfit is the best! It's so so cute. Youre the best

    ReplyDelete
  4. Great quote :) I personally think there is a happiness to be found in wholeness... in experiencing and embracing all emotions and using them as a way to move forward (it's why I love sad films and songs so much, they force you to feel) so the idea of fake happy or 'fake it til you make it' kind of happy is a bit alien to me, you know? I'm not sure I'm even making sense now, so.... merry christmas!! xxx

    ReplyDelete
  5. Replies
    1. Well thank you! That's a major compliment coming from you.

      Delete
  6. how can you be truly happy when you haven't felt sadness?xx


    dreaming is believing

    ReplyDelete

I love reading what you have to say about what I had to say. Feel free to leave those thoughts here.