3/1/15

to be messy and out of control




Brainstorming was never meant to be clean or easy.  Just think of the actual word content - brainstorm.  Storms, by nature, are powerful; they stir things up, make messes.  They can cause us to feel a bit out of control.  They can be frightening.

The trouble is, to be messy and out of control is to be vulnerable, and some part of all of us is just a little bit terrified of that.


Attempting to belong as who I actually am rather than pulling a chameleon and doing whatever it takes to fit in?  Digging deep into my vital organs, giving birth to an idea, only to discover it sucks, indisputably?  I think I'd rather run to higher ground, find shelter, build a comfortable prison to keep out anything uncomfortable or unknown.


Storms can be scary.  They are also nourishing, cleansing.  They bring things to the surface, where we can face and express them.  And if you are afraid of what you might find, maybe you should ask yourself why.


I've been learning* to ask myself why.


*to no be so afraid

11 comments:

  1. Just spent the last week falling in love with your writing. Your blog is goals haha (: xx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That is so kind! Thanks for taking the time to even read any of it.

      Delete
  2. Oh yeah, storms can be so terrifying... because you have no idea what could happen in the chaos, what skeletons you're going to have to dig up, what ugly parts of you you're going to be face-to-face with. But you are right, it's cleansing and good. Kinda makes me squeamish just thinking about it, but I know I'm growing too, and I hope you are as well.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Exactly. Squeamish haha, me too. Thanks, Lacey :)

      Delete
  3. All of life is a storm but I can never hear it. It's always too far away somehow.

    / Avy
    http://MyMotherFuckedMickJagger.blogspot.com




    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I honestly never have any idea what your comments mean.

      Delete
  4. I also heard once that the term brainstorm comes from this idea that storms break down barriers. Like when you are trying to keep out water. I always liked that too.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I love that! Breaking down barriers. Thank you for the thought.

      Delete
  5. beautiful words and beautiful pictures!!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Your words are always so good and true to me. I've always loved a good storm, I guess it's time I try loving the ones in my life now.

    ReplyDelete
  7. "Storms are cleansing" Absolutely agree with that.
    Your writing is so beautiful.
    So glad I found your blog :)

    -nymisha

    ReplyDelete

I love reading what you have to say about what I had to say. Feel free to leave those thoughts here.