9/19/13

delirious adoration

It's finally past 5:30 again - This time that I find myself doubting the arrival of, every weekday of my life.  Somehow I know the universe has decided to to skip it and I'll be left here, rotting on my swiveling chair, in limbo, forever.  But come it does, saving my sanity upon arrival.  I'm on the freeway with my speedometer pointing to the big 80 toward the top of the 3/4 circle on my dash.  Because I speed.  I speed away from home in the morning and then straight back to it, hours later, just after 5:30 pm.

I look at the clock and I smile.  5:36.  I smile because any minute past 5:30 means freedom.  All of the minutes and seconds I waste and breaths I take past 5:30, I waste and take them freely.

My windows are open.  The sweet post-summer air envelops me, waltzes through my hair and over my skin and sends every movable object around me into an excited frenzy.  I feel the sun, kissing my cheeks in an affectionate hello.  She's golden and cordial and encouraging us all, in direct contrast to the merciless white-hot of the months behind us.

I look around to all of the other people, driving in their boxes of metal and plastic and wheels and wonder what they're thinking now.  With their windows up.  With their speakers muted.  With their hands securely inside of the vehicle and not dancing outside of their window doing air waves.  That's where mine was, and it felt like heaven.  A happy chill went up my arm and onto my shoulders and I about combusted right then and there with delirious adoration for this season.  This promise of Autumn.  This reverent celebration of the natural order of things.  Of finding our way back to the ground, to our roots, to the dust from whence we came.  This big breath, this sense of clarity before the haze of hibernation.

17 comments:

  1. I'm finding it hard to articulate how beautiful and meaningful this post is to me. I just needed you to know I read it and I love it :) your words are magic.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you for leaving such a nice comment! Really, this made my day.

      Delete
  2. My goodness, the way you use words is just gorgeously epic.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Coming from you, I don't take that lightly! Thank you.

      Delete
  3. Woah this was beautiful. This made me all excited for fall. Thank you, you wonderful being.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I know right?? It's finally cooling off here and it's difficult to contain the excitement.

      Delete
  4. This is perfect. This is me every day waiting for the charade of work to end. I love your writing. As always.

    Em
    Tightrope to the Sun

    ReplyDelete
  5. Well, that was just beautiful. I love how you weave your words into something unique and potent.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Well I definitely don't always feel that way about what I write, but that's a very kind thing to say! Thanks so much. PS I love your blogger profile picture. That red lipstick is too perfect on you.

      Delete
  6. first, i must say that your writing is perfect. seriously Meg, you are wonderful, and this is so beautifully written. second, if the air is warm my windows are down, and i am doing the air wave. ALWAYS

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. YOU'RE wonderful. And yes, air waves. Air wave all day long.

      Delete
  7. I wish I could write like this. simple and beautiful.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You can! You write lovely things. Thank you for your nice comments.

      Delete
  8. Perfect choice of words....I let my hand dance on waves of air, too, the kid in me can't helpit.

    ReplyDelete

I love reading what you have to say about what I had to say. Feel free to leave those thoughts here.